At 14.53 the police got an alarm about people being injured on Drottninggatan, in the centre of Stockholm. According to eyewitnesses a hijacked truck drove – at high speed - from Olof Palmes gata, along Drottninggatan, towards Sergels torg – one of Stockholm´s most popular shopping areas. The truck drove into the department store Åhléns.
Left on the streets were bleeding people and later at least four of them were reported dead and fifteen injured.
The police took help from Säpo, the Swedish secret service:
"Säpo got, at 14.55 on friday, an alarm about a truck that has run in to a group of people on Drottninggatan in Stockholm. A large group of people have been injured. Säpo are assisting the regular police in the ongoing investigation. At the same time an intense intelligence operation is being conducted to find the person or persons responsible for the attack", wrote Säpo in a statement.
"Sweden is under attack"
The police released a picture of a suspect, wearing a grey hoodie and a greenish jacket. After 8 o’clock in the evening police apprehended a man in Märsta, a commune north of Stockholm. He is said to have similar features as the person on the released picture.
- It is a person of certain interest, said the police at a press conference on Friday night.
The police doesn't rule out that there can be more culprits than the suspected person on the released picture.
Do you believe that the apprehended suspect is the same person as the one who drove the truck?
– Vi can't say. Though there was a person at the scene with the same features as the one being seized in Märsta. But we can't tell if it's the same person, says Stefan Hector at the Swedish police.
Even though a person has been apprehended, the Swedish police won't lower the preassure of their work.
The Swedish prime minister Stefan Löfven:
- Sweden is under attack. Everything points to a terrorist act, said Löfven and continued:
- The government are being informed. I´m getting constant information. The government are doing everything to support the authorities. We urge the public to listen to the police´s information.
- Our thoughts are with the victims, their families and their loved ones - and those who are injured.
All ministers have been brought to safety.
The police said that the public should avoid the center of Stockholm. The subway closed down and the police sealed of a large area in central Stockholm. The Swedish border controll are also tightened.
The police urge people who have information about the person on the released picture, or the attack, to call 114 14.