First sources told that Bäckström missed out on the finals due to migraine.
Later Sweden's national Olympic committee confimed that the Washington center had failed a doping test.
– That's correct. We know it's because of an allergy medicine he has been using for seven years, press officer Björn Folin told SportExpressen.se.
– We don't know when the test was made. We haven't been speaking to Bäckström yet. I don't have any more information, Folin said.
Wille there be any consequences for the Swedish national team?
– No, I don't think so. In this case it could be a personal punishment.
"It's all been a circus"
Swedish head coach Pär Mårts recieved the news two hours before face off against Canada.
– I was about to go down to the rink when I heard the news about Bäckström. After that – it's all been a circus around here. It's absolutely unbeliveable, Mårts told Swedish television TV3.
– You get really pissed off when these things happends. I'm really sad about it, Mårts said.
Nicklas Bäckström refused to answer any questions after the final. Though, his team mates showed their support.
– He's been really important to us through out this tournament, since we've had a few injuries. It definitely affected us, Daniel Sedin said.
– It's really sad. I don't know everything about the details. But it's really said news to get just before an important game. No one in our team are using any illegal substances, Henrik Lundqvist said.